Account of an Expedition from Pittsburgh to the Rocky Mountains [The Long Expedition] (in Four Volumes) Reprinted from Volumes XIV, XV, XVI & XVII of Thwaites's Early Western Travels: 1748-1846
by THWAITES, Reuben Gold; LONG, Stephen H.;
- Very Good+
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Cleveland, Ohio: The Arthur H. Clark Company. Very Good+. 1905. Hardcover. A four volume reprinted portion of Reuben Gold Thwaites's massive 31-volume series on travel in the American West in the 18th and 19th centuries (Howes T.255). Compiled from the notes of Major Stephen H. Long, Mr. T. Say, and other gentlemen of the party by Edwin James, botanist and geologist to the expedition.Edited with notes, introductions and index by Mr. Thwaites. This rather scarce set presents the account of the experiences of the Stephen H. Long expedition of 1819-1820, in which Long was sent to find the source of the Platte River in the Rocky Mountains. With a large fold-out map in vol. I depicting the drainage of the Mississippi River, along with several plates bearing black & white images of people and sights seen during the expedition. --- In full rust cloth-covered boards with gilt-stamped spine titling; top edges gilt, remaining edges deckled. --- Many pages are unopened, and with some light sunning to spines. A prior owner has made discreet notations or check marks in a handful of locations in the books, and with prior owner's signature to front free endpapers of each volume. (Due to the considerable weight of this item, extra shipping charges may be requested.); Tall Octavo (9 to 10 in. tall); 321, 356, 291, 308 pages .
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Bluebird Books (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Account of an Expedition from Pittsburgh to the Rocky Mountains [The Long Expedition] (in Four Volumes) Reprinted from Volumes XIV, XV, XVI & XVII of Thwaites's Early Western Travels: 1748-1846
- THWAITES, Reuben Gold; LONG, Stephen H.;
- Book condition
- Used - Very Good+
- The Arthur H. Clark Company
- Place of Publication
- Cleveland, Ohio
- Date published
- Bookseller catalogs
- >>American History & Politics;
Terms of Sale
All sales sold on a satisfaction guaranteed basis--all we ask is that you notify us within 30 days of purchase that you would like to return an item.
About the Seller
Biblio.co.nz member since: 2005
Ask Seller a Question
About Bluebird Books
Bluebird Books is the bookselling business of Eric Mayer, operating from my base in Littleton, Colorado. I specialize in classic fiction and literature, books on birds and natural history, railroadiana, biography, history and many other genres. Bluebird Books features publications by the Modern Library and Everyman's Library. I offer free shipping on books shipped within the US via USPS Media Mail. INTERNATIONAL ORDERS: I recommend that you use Biblio.com for your international orders because they have formed a partnership with Asendia to allow for much more affordable shipping on parcels weighing under 5 lb. (about 2.26 kg).
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- A term used to denote a condition a slight grade better than Good.
- A state in which all or some of the pages of a book have not been separated from the adjacent pages, caused by a traditional...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]