Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
1690 1ed Japanese Woodblock Illustrated Buddhism Buddha Amida Butsuzou Zui
A rare, 17th-century handwritten Japanese woodblock book 'Butsuzō-zui' 仏像図彙, or 'Illustrated Compendium of Buddhist Images,' was first published in 1690 (Genroku 元禄 3) and has since become a landmark Japanese dictionary of Buddhist iconography. Hundreds of black-and-white drawings, with deities classified into categories based on function and attributes. The 'Butsuzou Zui' is responsible for the dissemination of the Amida kubon-in, hand forms depicting the nine grades of Amida.
The 'Butsuzou Zui' falls under the genre of Zuzo collections of iconic drawings. Butsuzou Zui presents Buddhism as it has been adapted in Japan, with the collections of Buddhist icons divided into five parts.
· The scriptures
· Chinese icons of Fudaishi and his sons, the laughing Buddhas;
· Sketches on the birth of the historical Buddha, his search, Sambodhi and parinirvana;
· The nine categories of Amida
· The classification of the seven Buddhas of healing
It also introduces the amalgamation of Buddhist and the native Shinto deities, a unique feature of Japanese Buddhism.
This 1690 first edition contains hundreds of illustrations of different buddhas and buddha forms as well as instruments used in Buddhist ceremonies.
Item number: #7527
Butsuzou Zui (Illustrated Compendium of Buddhist Images)
Genroku 3 (1690) 1st edition
· Collation: Complete with all pages; 5 volumes
o Vol. 1 – 19
o Vol. 2 – 42
o Vol. 3 – 48
o Vol. 4 – 38
o Vol. 5 – 39
· References: Mitchell, p. 295; Anita Khanna, Buddhist Iconography: In the Butsuzozui of Hidenobu;
· Language: Kanbun, Japanese and Chinese
· Binding: Softcover; tight & secure
· Size: ~9in X 6in (23cm x 15cm)
Very Fast. Very Safe. Free Shipping Worldwide.
Customer satisfaction is our priority! Notify us with 7 days of receiving, and we will offer a full refund without reservation!
Photos available upon request.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Butsuzou Zui (Illustrated Compendium of Buddhist Images)
- Hidenibu Tosa
- Softcover; tight & secure
- Book condition
- Used - Near Fine
- Quantity available
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- 1690 1ed Japanese Woodblock Illustrated Buddhism Buddha Amida Butsuzou Zuirare, antique, old, first edition, 1st state, provenance, signed, inscribed, dust jacket, vellum, manuscript, engravings, illustrations, leather, plates, maps, antiquarian
Terms of Sale
Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books
About the Seller
About Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.