Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Lugduni: Balthazarem Arnolletum, 1549 A good copy of the very scarce second edition of Leonhart Fuchs' outstanding work on plants. Fuchs (1501-1566) was born in Germany and was a physician and botanist. This work was first published in 1542 in folio and was a huge advance on previous works, particularly in its use of woodcuts after drawings by Albrecht Meyer. The second edition is 16mo and the woodcuts were redone by Clement Bussy, who also produced a portrait of Fuchs which is printed on the verso of the title. This copy is in a later card binding with the title to the spine. The binding is sound but rubbed and worn. Page edges are red. Contents: title with printer's device; portrait; lectori 2pp; dedication 5pp; 3 index sections with latin, medical and french names 20pp; blank; text pp 1-852 with numerous woodcuts; appendix; finis. There should be a 6 leaf glossary of terms after the Finis, but this is lacking. The contents are lightly toned but very clean. The stitching is visible between the portrait and lectori section. A good to very good copy.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- E C Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- De Historia Stirpium commentarii insignes
- Leonhart Fuchs
- Clement Bussy
- Book condition
- Used - Good
- Jacket condition
- Quantity available
- 2nd Edition
- Balthazarem Arnolletum
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- leonhart fuchs; clement bussy; leonhart fuchs herbal; sixteenth century herbals
- Bookseller catalogs
- NATURAL HISTORY; Herbals and early medicine; 16th century works;
- 16mo - over 5¾ - 6¾" tall
Terms of Sale
E C Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio.co.nz member since: 2011
Ask Seller a Question
About E C Books
E C Books is a small online bookselling business, specialising in pre 20th century works:natural history, science, history, and travel, aiming for rarer and more unusual books. Our largest stock area is Natural History, where we have a good range of books from the 1700-1800's, many finely illustrated. Other areas include children's books, particularly late 1800's-early 1900's - again illustrated; and literature pre 1900.When you order books from us we ensure that they are properly packed to protect condition, and we always use recorded or 'signed for' postal services for more secure delivery. Please note that we have recently moved to the beautiful Orkney Islands, where we intend to open a bookshop over the next year. Because of our location we cannot guarantee 'next day' delivery but we will get your purchase to you as quickly and safely as we can.Please note that the buyer is responsible for the payment of any tax or duty on import.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- A folio usually indicates a large book size of 15" in height or larger when used in the context of a book description....[more]
- The page bound on the left side of a book, opposite to the recto page.
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]