MURDER FOR PLEASURE: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF THE DETECTIVE STORY ..
by Haycraft, Howard
- See description
Elizabethtown, New York
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
New York, London: D. Appleton-Century Company Incorporated, 1941. Octavo, pp. [i-vi] vii-xiii [xiv] xv-xviii [1-2] 3-409 [410-412: blank] [note: last leaf is a blank], seventeen inserted plates, cloth. First edition, first printing with "(1)" at base of text on page 409. The first book about detective fiction as a literary form to be published in the United States. A landmark study. "An extremely thorough and sensible treatment of its subject." - Barzun and Taylor, A Catalogue of Crime (1989) 4316. Gold lettering on spine panel tarnished, a very good copy in poor chipped and soiled dust jacket. (#64082)
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- L. W. Currey, Inc. (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- MURDER FOR PLEASURE: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF THE DETECTIVE STORY ..
- Haycraft, Howard
- Book condition
- D. Appleton-Century Company Incorporated
- Place of Publication
- New York, London
- Date Published
- Mystery & Crime; (Reference)
Terms of Sale
L. W. Currey, Inc.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio.co.nz member since 2007
Elizabethtown, New York
Ask Seller a Question
About L. W. Currey, Inc.
We buy and sell rare, fine and collectible first edition books, magazines, letters and manuscripts in all fields of popular fiction, with an emphasis on science fiction, fantasy and utopian literature from the earliest times to end of the twentieth century. We are open to the public by appointment only.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A book with significant wear and faults. A poor condition book is still a reading copy with the full text still readable. Any... [More]
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing... [More]
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps... [More]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in... [More]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched... [More]
- Generally refers to minor discoloration or staining.
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [More]