Main Street Books
Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Main Street Books specializes in Children's Fiction, Fantasy, General Fiction, Graphic Novels, Mystery, Role Playing Games, Science Fiction, Young Adult Fiction.
Search the inventory of Main Street Books
About Main Street Books
Located in historic downtown Lafayette, Indiana, Main Street Books offers new, used, and remainder fiction books at low prices.
Biblio Member Since2015
Main Street Books
426 Main StreetLafayette, IN 47901 USA
Terms of sale for Main Street Books30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
Payment Methods Accepted
|Wednesday||10:00 AM - 6:00 PM|
|Thursday||10:00 AM - 6:00 PM|
|Friday||10:00 AM - 6:00 PM|
|Saturday||10:00 AM - 6:00 PM|
|Sunday||12:00 PM - 4:00 PM|
Interview with Tamzin Malone of Main Street Books
- When did you get started in bookselling?
- We opened our store in April, 2015.
- What drew you to bookselling?
- We are a family of avid readers. When our downtown indie bookstore went out of business, we knew what we had to do! We bought their shelves and remaining inventory, moved to a nearby location, and opened the bookstore we always wanted to go to.
- Did you have any mentors in becoming a bookseller?
- I have a cousin in another state who is also a bookseller, and she passed on a lot of wisdom from her boss. I have never actually met him, so I'm not sure I can claim him as a mentor, but he gave me the best advice I've heard about owning a bookstore: The best way to make a small fortune in the book selling business is to start with a large fortune. ;-)
- What are your specialties as a dealer?
- We specialize in feeding your fiction addiction! We have all kinds of fiction - science fiction, fantasy, mystery, horror, classics, general fiction, kid's books - picture books, chapter books, young adult . . . if you want to read a good story, we can set you up!
- What's the most amazing book you've ever sold?
- A Game of Thrones pop-up book.
- What is your favorite part of being a bookseller?
- Meeting people and talking about books! We have met so many interesting people because of this bookstore.
- Do you have an open storefront or have you in the past?
- We have a real brick-and-mortar store in a charming historic downtown of a cozy Midwest university town.
- If so, do/did you have any bookstore pets?
- We have an imaginary bookstore cat named Pixel.
- What is the funniest / strangest / scariest thing that ever happened in your store?
- A young man came in wearing a plague doctor mask and a black coat, swooped around the store ominously, didn't reply when spoken to, and swooped back out without a word. It was seriously creepy. He seemed like a kid who wanted to freak people out. It worked!
- What is your favorite bookshop (other than your own)?
- Title Wave Books in Anchorage, Alaska.
- What do you personally like to read? Collect?
- I love to read Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters. I collect books from my childhood.
- What's your favorite book you personally own? Would you sell it, if the price were right?
- I'm really fond of my ancient family bible, most of which is written in German and indecipherable to me. I don't think anyone else would want it. I'd give it to a younger relative if one of them wanted to become the keeper of the family memories.
- If you were stranded on a desert island and could bring three books, what would they be?
- Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, and The Four Agreements.