Rock River Books
CHAPEL HILL, North Carolina, USA
Rock River Books specializes in Nonfiction, Fiction, Antiquarian & Collectable, Theology, Childr.
Search the inventory of Rock River Books
About Rock River Books
Specializing in items of interest for discerning readers. Curated catalogs include nonfiction, theology, fiction, children's, antiquarian and collectable items. Books are described accurately, shipped promptly. We strive to provide quality items and excellent customer service. All books are packed with care in appropriate protective materials. Cardboard is used for hardcover books.
Rock River Books
Terms of sale for Rock River Books
All books are shipped with a TRACKING NUMBER. Standard shipping via USPS Media Mail is Free within the USA. Expedited shipping is via USPS Priority or Express Mail. Additional shipping and handling charges apply to international, priority and express shipping. 30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives in damaged condition.
Payment Methods Accepted
Featured Books from Rock River Books
Rare Books from Rock River Books
Interview with Deborah Gorman of Rock River Books
- When did you get started in bookselling?
- I started selling books in 2004. I was a book dealer for five years, but then I moved to another part of the country and shipped most of the books to Amazon Fulfillment. I then took a hiatus from selling for about ten years while I was pursuing other interests. Everything was changing from scanners and technology. I wouldn't to get back into that type of selling again. Technology was changing with scanners and ebooks changing the business model. It seemed like books were going out. Now that seems to be reversing somewhat and people are wanting books again. Personally I just prefer the whole experience of reading an actual book, both tactile and visually, and I hear others say the same thing.
- What drew you to bookselling?
- I was always attracted to working with and around books. Going to school I worked in book stores and libraries. As a lifelong book lover, I habitually accumulate books. It just happens. Books have a way of expanding into all available space. Eventually I had a large library of several thousand books, which included a lot of professional books. I was in a vocational transition and I no longer had office space to store them. I went on eBay and put one book on auction and sold it right away. From there I just kept going, and then started also buying books to sell.
- Did you have any mentors in becoming a bookseller?
- I did. I used to lurk on several forums on eBay where I learned quite a bit about how to grade books and present them for sale. After a while I sold on several venues, including Half.com, Amazon, Choose Books and Biblio. I made the acquaintance of some book store owners where I was living with whom I would trade books I found while scouting that were more suitable to their store for ones I could sell online.
- What are your specialties as a dealer?
- Mostly nonfiction, but some antiquarian and collectable, particularly children's books. Books that interest me. I have eclectic interests, and I'm picky about condition. I won't sell junk or dreck, or books in fair or acceptable condition.
- What's the most amazing book you've ever sold?
- A very old edition of The Wizard of Oz, not a first but very early.
- What is your favorite part of being a bookseller?
- Looking at books, reading and touching them.