Lexington, Kentucky, USA
ShambroLa Books specializes in Modern 1st Editions, Mysteries And Thrillers, Signed 1st Editions.
Search the inventory of ShambroLa Books
About ShambroLa Books
Shambrola Books prides itself in QUALITY books. 100% satisfaction guaranteed. We are an online bookstore only. If not completely satisfied with your purchase for whatever reason, we will refund at our expense, with book returned in same condition within 10 days.
Terms of sale for ShambroLa BooksAll shipping is media rate unless otherwise specified, Priority rates are also available. Oversized book rates will be quoted individually. Special shipping requests and International rates will be quoted individually. We will hold a book 10 days upon request of purchase pending receipt of payment. If not completely satisfied for whatever reason, we will refund your purchase at our expense, with book returned in same condition, within 10 days.
Payment Methods Accepted
Browse ShambroLa Books by Category
- 1sED, science fiction,horror
- 1st Ed, ficiton, thriller, suspense
- 1st Ed, Mystery
- 1stED, fiction
- 1stED, fiction, drama
- 1stED, fiction, humor
- 1stED, fiction, mystery
- 1stED, fiction, mystery, murder
- 1stED, fiction, mystery, Signed
- 1stED, fiction, mystery, suspense
- 1stED, fiction, signature, crime, suspense
- 1stED, fiction, signature, suspense
- 1stED, fiction, suspense
- 1stED, legal thriller, fiction, Miami,suspense
- 1stEd, Mystery
- 1stEd, Mystery, British, Horse racing
- 1stEd, Mystery, Suspense
- 1stEd, Mystery, Suspense, Law
- 1stEd, Mystery, Suspense, SciFi
- 1stEd, Mystery, Suspense, Signed
- 1stEd, Signed, Mystery, Suspense
- 1stEd, Suspense, Mystery
- Advanced Reading Copy
- Art & Cinema
- Civil War
- Horror, Sci-Fi 1st Editions
- Horror, Sci-Fi 1st Editions
- Military History
- Modern 1st Editions
- Modern First Editions
- Non-first Editions
- Signed 1st Editions
- Signed First Edition
- Special Selections
Interview with Debra Shambro of ShambroLa Books
- When did you get started in bookselling?
- ShambroLa Books has been selling since 1997.
- What drew you to bookselling?
- My husband and I always loved reading and collecting books. Always hardcovers. Eventually we had so many books we couldn't keep them all so we looked into bookselling. We did a good deal of research both reading and talking to other booksellers. We learned how to identify true first editions which become our area of expertise. We enjoyed talking to people who liked the same types of books we liked.
- Did you have any mentors in becoming a bookseller?
- My husband visited several of the bookstores (used) in Lexington and got to know the owners. They were always open with their knowledge and would give him 'inside' tips to selling and collecting.
- What are your specialties as a dealer?
- Modern signed first editions have always been our specialty. We especially like dealing in modern mysteries and thrillers along with modern fiction.
- What's the most amazing book you've ever sold?
- My husband found a first edition copy of 'Profiles in Courage' by JFK at a flea market. He was so thrilled and excited. It was difficult to sell such an iconic book, but you can't keep them all, if you did you wouldn't stay in business long!
- What is your favorite part of being a bookseller?
- When we had a brick and mortar bookstore we just loved talking to the customers. Sharing the love of books!
- Do you have an open storefront or have you in the past?
- In the past we had a beautiful little bookstore and art gallery. It was in an old home built in the 1800's in the historic district of Lexington. We had that for 5 years but the rent kept going up and the book sales down, so we had to give it up.
- What is the funniest / strangest / scariest thing that ever happened in your store?
- Since our bookstore was very old and in a very old neighborhood you could feel the history. Sometimes we would hear doors closing and footsteps. Once our daughter swore an old gentleman in a top hat and tails walked in and spoke to her, but when she asked if she could help him he vanished....None of us were too surprised since the shop had been one of the first bookstores in Lexington.
- What is your favorite bookshop (other than your own)?
- Powell's Books in Portland Oregon.
- What do you personally like to read? Collect?
- Mysteries of course but also good fiction. Kentucky has some very special authors, Silas House is one of my favorites and of course the iconic Sue Grafton.