Raptis Rare Books
Palm Beach, Florida, USA
Raptis Rare Books specializes in Art And Architecture, Children's Books, Economics And Finance, First Editions, Modern Literature, Photography, Science Fiction And Mystery, Signed And Inscribed Books.
Search the inventory of Raptis Rare Books
About Raptis Rare Books
Founded by Matthew Raptis, Raptis Rare Books is an antiquarian book firm that specializes in literature, children's books, economics, photo books, signed and inscribed books, and landmark books in all fields. Our business model is simple: we strive to handle books that are in exceptional condition and to provide exceptional customer service. We are proud members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) and exhibit at major book fairs in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Boston, as well as other regional fairs.
Raptis Rare Books
Featured Books from Raptis Rare Books
Terms of sale for Raptis Rare Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed.
Payment Methods Accepted
Rare Books from Raptis Rare Books
Interview with Matthew Raptis of Raptis Rare Books
- When did you get started in bookselling?
- Matthew Raptis started collecting books as a young child and began selling books as a young man. Adrienne joined him in the venture after they met and married. Although she had a different career path in mind, as a child she would often pretend that she owned a book store, and she loves this book selling journey.
- What drew you to bookselling?
- We love being surrounded by books of all types. Every day we have the opportunity to hold history in our hands. Each book not only holds with in its pages a story but also has a story of its own. We sell first edition books, many of which are signed or inscribed by the author. These books were the first time that the authors words appeared in print. Until that moment, the ideas in the author’s head were the author’s alone. The written word allows these words to be shared to anyone to reads these books. When we have a book that is signed by the author it is particularly special because it was in the hands of the very person who breathed life into that work. Oftentimes the recipient of the book was also a special person to the author (an association copy) or has some other interesting history. It is interesting to imagine what these books might have overheard from their shelves if they had ears.
- What are your specialties as a dealer?
- We specialize in fine first editions and signed books in all genres, but we are well known for our modern first editions and economics books.
- What's the most amazing book you've ever sold?
- We have had many amazing books over the years including some of the first folios of Shakespeare. I would say that a presentation copy of Charles Darwin’s Origin of Species was the most unique and interesting book that we have sold.
- What is your favorite part of being a bookseller?
- We love interacting with our customers in our Palm Beach, Florida gallery located at 226 Worth Avenue or hearing back from our customers after we have shipped them a book that they really love.
- Do you have an open storefront or have you in the past?
- What do you personally like to read? Collect?
- Adrienne personally likes to read anything she can get her hands on. She loves the classics and works of non-fiction, particularly in history and science, as that is what she studied in school. She also enjoys young adult science and speculative fiction, as she one day hopes to write a book within that genre. Matthew began his journey of collecting books with his passion for history, particularly the American Civil War. He loves to read and collect books of history. He also enjoys economics and politics, and he has developed a reputation as one of the premier booksellers dealing in economic thought.
- What's your favorite book you personally own? Would you sell it, if the price were right?
- Matthew’s favorite book is the Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant that was gifted to him as a young boy. He would not sell it.
- What one book would you buy if price were no object?
- We would love to find a first edition of Don Quixote both because of its rarity and its story.
- If you were stranded on a desert island and could bring three books, what would they be?
- The Stranger by Albert Camus, A Time of Gifts by Patrick Leigh Fermor, and One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.