Henry Sotheran Ltd.
London, London, United Kingdom
Henry Sotheran Ltd. specializes in Antiquarian, Children's & Illustrated, Fine Bindings, Modern First Editions, Science & Natural History, Travel.
Search the inventory of Henry Sotheran Ltd.
About Henry Sotheran Ltd.
Founded in York in 1761 and established in London on 1815, Henry Sotheran Limited has a long and distinguished history.For over 250 years we have been offering unsurpassed opportunities to collectors. Throughout our history we have prided ourselves on the quality and condition of our books and our friendly service.Our premises just off Piccadilly in the heart of London's West End are spacious and elegantly appointed and we welcome regular clients and passers-by alike to wander in and browse in a relaxing and convivial atmosphere.
Henry Sotheran Ltd.
Terms of sale for Henry Sotheran Ltd.30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
Payment Methods Accepted
Interview with Book Department of Henry Sotheran Ltd.
- Did you have any mentors in becoming a bookseller?
- We're not 100% sure how Mr. Sotheran was seduced into the dark arts of bookselling all the way back in the 18th century, but it was probably an exciting tale of bravado and wit.
- What is your favorite part of being a bookseller?
- That part where someone asks you what you have in store, and you give them a defeated look as if to suggest the number of books overwhelmed your capacity to keep track of them LONG ago.
- If so, do/did you have any bookstore pets?
- There was a brief but unsuccessful petition to keep a badger as a bookstore mascot.
- What is the funniest / strangest / scariest thing that ever happened in your store?
- One time, someone came in and asked for a book. We actually had it in stock, and tentatively offered it to them. They then BOUGHT IT. We're still in shock.
- What's your favorite book you personally own? Would you sell it, if the price were right?
- [There's a copy of the Sotheran's company history that props my desk up. No amount of money is worth a wobbly desk.]
- If you were stranded on a desert island and could bring three books, what would they be?
- "How to escape from a desert island," "Eating Sand, tales of unexpected culinary endeavours" and "How to lash two sea turtles together and make a raft."